The Director of Compensation, Benefits, and HRIS directs the compensation and benefit programs in addition to directing the system-wide Human Resources Information System (HRIS). Serves as the compensation, benefits, and HRIS expert to the HR affiliate teams and corporate staff. Responsible for the delivery of ethical, legal, and strategic support for functional areas in support of the Company's goals, missions, values, and vision. Leads teams in all areas of oversight and partners with HR colleagues to create and deliver sound business solutions for existing, anticipated, and new business challenges.
As a Center of Excellence leader, the director provides centralized operations for and establishes HR standards, policies and procedures for the system and ensures overall compliance. Manages the centralized HR functions works closely with the HR affiliate teams to meet operational needs of the affiliate.
- Bachelor's Degree in Human Resources or business related field; MBA preferred
- 8 years of progressive experience in compensation and benefits; minimum of five years at a management level
- Demonstrated understanding of financial statements, budgets and planning tools
- Effective interpersonal skills, able to work in controversial and emotionally charged situations
- Able to effectively work with Company executives and all level of management; conduct Board presentations
- Work confidentially with sensitive information
- Advanced computer skills (especially Excel) and experience with a wide variety of applications
- Exercise sound judgment and independent decision-making
- Organized and able to successfully balance competing tasks
- Display a positive customer service attitude
- Able to effectively direct and partner with external consultants and service providers
- Competent in quantitative and qualitative analyses
- Able to successfully plan and implement company-wide programs
- Demonstrated continued professional development activity
- Strong oral presentation and writing skills
- Valid driver's license and automobile insurance per Company policy
- Able to travel to off-site locations
- Satisfactorily complete competency requirements for this position.
Responsibilities of all employees:
- Represent the Company professionally at all times through care delivered and/or services provided to all clients.
- Comply with all State, federal and local government regulations, maintain strong position against fraud and abuse.
- Comply with Company policies, procedures and standard practices.
- Observe the Company's health, safety and security practices.
- Maintain the confidentiality of patients, families, colleagues and other sensitive situations within the Company.
- Use resources in a fiscally responsible manner.
- Promote the Company through participation in community and professional organizations.
- Participate proactively in improving performance at the organizational, departmental and individual levels.
- Improve own professional knowledge and skill level.
- Advance electronic media skills.
- Support Company research and educational activities.
- Share expertise with co-workers both formally and informally.
- Participate in Quality Assessment Performance Improvement activities as appropriate for the position.
Leadership Success Factors:
- Communication. Express thoughts and ideas clearly. Adapt communication style to fit audience.
- Initiative. Originate action to achieve goals.
- Management Identification. Identify with and accept the problems and responsibilities of management.
- Judgment. Make realistic decisions based in consideration of organizational resources.
- Planning, Organizing and Controlling. Establish course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a specific goal; plan proper assignments of personnel and appropriate allocation of resources. Monitor results.
- Leadership. Use appropriate interpersonal styles and methods in guiding others.
- Ethics. Model highest standards of conduct and ethical behavior, adopt strong position against fraud and abuse.
- Regulatory Compliance: Educate and monitor staff regarding their own and the organization's responsibilities for regulatory compliance.
- Develop, model, analyze, and implement compensation and incentive programs which are cost effective, observant of market trends and support the company's short and long term objectives; make recommendations and provide guidance to management.
- Responsible for reviewing and approving compensation exceptions to the approved guidelines.
- Monitor the effectiveness of existing compensation programs and proactively recommends revisions and improvements to Management as necessary.
- Provide quality advice and recommendations to Management on pay decisions, policy and guideline interpretation and job evaluations including the design of creative solutions for specific compensation-related programs.
- Determine what external resources to utilize to achieve business needs.
- In conjunction with Payroll, responsible for the administration of direct compensation for all levels of employees including the processing, recording and reporting of compensation-related actions taken.
- Responsible for merit compensation program and ensure performance evaluations are processed correctly and that all pay increases are accurately applied in the HRIS system.
- Participate in salary surveys to ensure that compensation programs are competitive with the external market.
- Responsible for job descriptions and performance evaluations.
- Consult with Management to provide guidance on organizational structure and design and on new and existing positions.
- Responsible for and consults to Management on, all incentive compensation programs and design including verification of attainment and incentive processing.
- Develop, implement, and maintain documentation on all "add-on" rates, i.e. pool, on-call, and shift differentials.
- Keep apprised of federal, state, and local compensation laws and regulations to ensure company compliance.
- Responsible for the proper administration of all benefit programs.
- Evaluate and compare existing company benefits with those of other employers by analyzing other plans, surveys, and other sources of information. Plan, develop, and/or participate in area and industry surveys. Analyze results of surveys and develop specific recommendations for review by Management.
- Proactively advise Management on benefit strategies that align with the Company's short and long term goals.
- Design and recommend specifications for new benefit plans and modify existing plans to maintain a competitive position in labor market.
- Analyze benefit cost information for ongoing and new plans and make recommendations to Management concerning cost sharing alternatives.
- Implement new plans and plan changes including reviewing contracts, implementing system changes, and preparation of communication materials and plans.
- Oversee annual Open Enrollment process; ensure an effective, multi department collaboration on process execution.
- Provide explanations to Management and employees on existing benefits.
- Coordinate regular retirement plan performance reviews with Company Management and the plan provider.
- Review, evaluate and recommend retirement plan design features and Company's contribution strategy.
- Ensure that benefit plan documentation such as plan documents, contracts and insurance policies are accurate, current and reflect the company's intent.
- In conjunction with Accounting, oversees annual 403(b) audit.
- Maintain strong working knowledge of all applicable federal, state and local laws, ordinances, regulations and reporting requirements, including COBRA, HIPAA, ERISA, and state statutes governing benefit plans. Review and analyze changes to state and federal laws pertaining to benefits and report required and suggested changes to management.
- Responsible for preparation of reports, applications and other government filings, including non-discrimination testing and 5500s, as required by law to be filed with federal and state departments and agencies, such as the Internal Revenue Service, Department of Labor, insurance commissioners, and other regulatory agencies.
- Coordinate company benefits with government sponsored programs, i.e. COBRA
- Oversee the handling of benefit inquiries and issues to ensure that timely, equitable, courteous explanations and resolutions occur.
- Direct the administration, performance, and maintenance of the HRIS system.
- In partnership with IT, evaluate and recommend changes to support current and future HRIS application requirements.
- Ensure integrity of the HRIS data, reporting, and client interface.
- Direct all functional usage of the HRIS application to meet strategic and tactical business needs.
- Oversee all aspects of HRIS system administration.
- Identify service delivery models and HR technology needs.
- Maintain knowledge of current HRIS technology and proactively recommend emerging technology solutions.
- Maintain awareness of current trends in HRMS with a focus on product and service development, delivery and support, and applying key technologies. Examine trends in information systems training, materials and techniques.
- Drive continuous improvement opportunities.
- Monitor the effectiveness of the HRIS system and automated processes.
- Spearheads related HR technology applications and processes and insures fit with the HRIS system.
- Keep apprised of applicable laws and regulations to ensure compliance with all policies and procedures and maintain the highest level of confidentiality.
- Provides expertise to the HR Help Center and other HR staff.
- Responsible for collaborative guidance, counseling, and evaluation of those supervised. Manage the performance of direct reports, including timely formal evaluations.
- Responsible for providing and presenting recommendations to the executive budget committee for compensation and benefits budget items.
- Develop and implement appropriate audits for compensation and benefit related processes to ensure accurate and efficient processing.
- Provide in depth analysis of HR reports and metrics.
- Assure that staff and self continue to meet all required training, education, health and safety requirements.
- Provide for professional development opportunities for direct reports.
- Provide guidance to employees regarding their rights, privileges and responsibilities as Company employees.
- Perform other duties as assigned.