The Associate, Patient Access manages the daily activities associated with the Patient Access operations including but not limited to: handling, processing, and responding to incoming telephone, fax, and email inquiries and referrals; completing outbound calls as practices specify; coordinating admission evaluations; monitoring and maintaining department personnel assignments; handling scheduling; and fulfilling the reporting and administrative responsibilities associated with the Patient Access Department.
- High school diploma or equivalent with some college preferred. Work experience may be substituted for college.
- Prior experience in healthcare field required
- Prior experience in a contact center environment and/or staff scheduling and/or clinical patient care experience strongly preferred
- Able to perform sedentary work with frequent interruptions
- Demonstrated excellent time management skills required with ability to prioritize demands, meet client service standards and deadlines.
- Effectively handles stressful situations professionally and calmly.
- Ability to demonstrate client service skills and communications effectiveness
- Information seeking / probing skills
- Accurate knowledge transfer
- Listening, understanding and responding
- Able to multi-task (think, talk, type) in a fast paced environment, utilizing interpersonal skills to maximize caller reassurance.
- Ability to work in a cooperative team environment.
- Exhibit a sense of urgency in daily work activities
- Works under moderate supervision, exercising some degree of discretion & independent judgment
- Skilled in computer operations. Proficiency in MS Office software applications, on-line research and proven data entry and navigation skills.
- Available to work shifts to accommodate extended hours of operation as scheduled.
- Valid driver's license and automobile insurance
- Satisfactorily complete competency requirements for this position.
Responsibilities of all employees:
- Represent the Company professionally at all times through care delivered and/or services provided to all clients.
- Comply with all State, federal and local government regulations, maintaining a strong position against fraud and abuse.
- Comply with Company policies, procedures and standard practices.
- Observe the Company's health, safety and security practices.
- Maintain the confidentiality of patients, families, colleagues and other sensitive situations within the Company.
- Use resources in a fiscally responsible manner.
- Promote the Company through participation in community and professional organizations.
- Participate proactively in improving performance at the organizational, departmental and individual levels.
- Improve own professional knowledge and skill level.
- Advance electronic media skills.
- Support Company research and educational activities.
- Share expertise with co-workers both formally and informally.
- Participate in Quality Assurance and Performance Improvement activities as appropriate for the position.
Operational - Intake
- Responsible for the timely, courteous and effective handling of all telephone, fax, and email client inquiries related to hospice patient access. Clients include current and prospective patients, friends, or family members, POA, Care providers, physicians, nursing staff, nursing homes and ALFs, hospital staff and others as appropriate.
- Gathers necessary information and required documentation from appropriate sources to ensure complete, current and accurate documentation of client information and data as required.
- Positively promotes and clearly explains benefits of hospice services.
- Accurately enters data into information tracking systems, including entering and tracking patient referral file in electronic medical record.
- Completes outbound calls in order to follow-up and gather current health information as directed by Patient Access Management.
- Utilizes appropriate support/expert resources or personnel to resolve complex or difficult situations.
Operational - Scheduling
- Schedules Patient Access clinical staff to provide hospice evaluations and assessments.
- Follows Patient Access Scheduling matrix.
- Handles scheduling, including but not limited to:
- Timely hospice evaluations-every referral to be seen on same day.
- Unexpected changes in RN Patient Access assignment.
- Other special clinical exceptions (i.e. complex care review)
- Out of service area transfers
- Medical record review
- Enters and schedules intoscheduling software timely and accurately.
- Ensuring medical staff F2F evaluation visit prior to RN assessment when indicated.
- Coordinates complex case conferences.
- Maintains positive relationships with staff.
- Devotedly monitors and processes Active Referral Report daily to ensure all patients are seen in a timely manner.
Operational - Administrative
- Reviews daily Patient Access department reports..
- Assists the Manager, Patient Access with QAPI collection to continually improve care/service.
- Assists tracking of RN, Patient Access staff productivity.
- Assists in the orientation of new Patient Access staff.
- Participates in holiday and weekend coverage.
- Escalates to the supervisor any scheduling delays.
- Maintain attendance records for the Patient Access department.
- Attend scheduled meetings and participates in committees, as assigned.
- Attend educational offerings as indicated.
- Performs other job duties as requested