Responsible for the provision of pharmaceutical care, with emphasis on clinical components, to ensure optimal patient outcomes for hospice patients. Supervises technical support staff.
- Graduation from an ACPE accredited school of pharmacy.
- Current licensure as a pharmacist in the State of Florida required.
- Experience in the home care or hospital setting preferred.
- Computer/data base experience.
- Valid driver's license and automobile insurance.
- Ability to work on-call and shift hours.*
- Well developed interpersonal skills; ability to be tactful and understanding in contacts with patient/families, physicians, volunteers and other Company staff.
- Highly organized and precise.
- Analytical and thorough in work.
- Work under moderate supervision exercising a high degree of discretion and independent judgement.
- Evaluate and supervise the processing of pharmacy orders for hospice patients.
- Assure the accuracy of all medication orders by checking for the appropriateness of drug selection, dose, frequency, safety, dosage form, drug interactions and allergies and disease state interactions prior to dispensing of medications.
- Assure the accuracy of all medications dispensed by checking all technicians work.
- Responsible for technical staff's performance in timely delivery of pharmaceutical services, including participation in annual performance evaluation.
- Clarify and solve problems, concerning medication orders, with prescribing physicians.
- Orient and train new personnel.*
- Assure compliance with federal and state regulatory agencies, Joint standards, and hospice policies and procedures.
- Consistently participate as Interdisciplinary Group (IDG) member to discuss present patient status, progress, order changes, recommendations and participate in the care planning process.
- Perform all functions and duties of a Registered Pharmacist, as allowed by Florida law, required to assure appropriate delivery of pharmacy services to hospice patients.
- Assist with the continued implementation and management of all pharmacy services to meet the needs of the patients of the Company, consistent with the agency's mission and all State and Federal regulatory requirements.
- Assist the Pharmacy Manager with implementation of written policies and procedures as needed to insure the proper provision of pharmacy services.
- Assessment and monitoring of patient medication regimes and interpretation of laboratory results.
- Supervise pharmacy technicians in daily performance of duties.
- Monitor and document patient progress by lab study evaluation, direct patient contact, consultation with nursing and physician and other appropriate clinical personnel.
- Document clinical interventions which prevent or eliminate drug related problems, or promote optimal and cost effective drug therapies.
- Contribute to ongoing drug utilization activities, adverse drug reaction reporting, and other quality improvement reporting programs by active support and participation.
- Educate patients on safe and effective use of medications, side effects of medications, and the management of these side effects.
- Assure that pharmacy work area is kept clean and orderly.
- Assist with development, implementation, monitoring and functioning within the Pharmacy budget.*
· Assist with maintaining inventory control procedures for all drugs and supplies used by the pharmacy.
- Assure the proper use and maintenance of all Pharmacy Department computer/data processing systems and the security and confidentiality of all data contained within such systems.
- Assure confidentiality is maintained regarding all patient information collected and used in the department.
- Continuously seek to improve all aspects of pharmacy services. Assist with coordinating Performance Improvement activities consistent with the goals of the Performance Improvement Program of the agency and with the needs and expectations of those to whom pharmacy services are provided.
- Serve as a drug information resource for all persons providing care to hospice patients, including hospice physicians, clinical and administrative staff, community physicians, caregivers, etc.
- Provide consultation to members of the interdisciplinary teams regarding drug therapy and related patient care issues.
- Assist the Education Department with staff education regarding drug therapy and related patient care issues.
- Provide appropriate training and periodic evaluation of aseptic technique for employees involved in preparation of sterile products and in the handling of cytotoxic drugs.
- Assist hospice staff with correct documentation of patients' nutritional problems.
- Assist with maintenance of a system for pharmacist availability 24 hours a day and 7 days a week.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as requested by the Pharmacy Manager or Director to support the overall mission and services of the Company.
- Actively participate on hospice committees as indicated by the Director of Pharmacy.