Under RN Supervision, the Hospice House Hospice Aide assists with activities of daily living and performs personal care services to patients in hospice house. S/he provides light housekeeping as needed and laundry related to patient care.
Current Florida certificate as CNA.
Valid driver's license and automobile insurance in the State of Florida.
Reliable transportation to meet work schedule.
One (1) year CNA or home health aide experience (Hospice Aide Training Program can be substituted for homecare/hospice experience).
Basic computer skills
Ability to use equipment with visual and auditory mechanisms.
Ability to communicate (written and oral) in English.
Ability to manage the emotional stress of working with and caring for terminally ill patients and their families.
Ability to perform the essential functions and physical requirements (including, but not limited to: lifting patients and/or equipment, bending, pushing/pulling, kneeling) of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Must be able/willing to have contact with individuals with communicable diseases.
Ability to physically access any home i.e. navigate stairs and narrow spaces, tolerate heat and lack of air conditioning, in any area Company serves.to
Ability to physically access patient rooms and other areas of the Hospice House
- Satisfactorily complete competency requirements for this position.
Responsibilities of all employees:
- Represent the Company professionally at all times through care delivered and/or services provided to all clients.
- Comply with all state, federal and local government regulations, maintaining a strong position against fraud and abuse.
- Comply with Company policies, procedures and standard practices.
- Observe the Company's health, safety and security practices.
- Maintain the confidentiality of patients, families, colleagues and other sensitive situations within the Company.
- Use resources in a fiscally responsible manner.
- Promote the Company through participation in community and professional organizations.
- Participate proactively in improving performance at the organizational, departmental and individual levels.
- Improve own professional knowledge and skill level.
- Advance electronic media skills.
- Support Company research and educational activities.
- Share expertise with co-workers both formally and informally.
- Participate in Quality Assessment and Performance Improvement activities as appropriate for the position.
- Maintain competencies/contact hours as required by Company and state.
- Provide patient/caregiver services according to written Hospice Aide Plan of Care and Company policies and procedures.
- Provide emotional support for patients/caregivers.
- Practice safe and proper body mechanics relative to moving, positioning and transferring patients.
- Under the direction or supervision of an RN, the Hospice Aide may perform:
Skin care - basic: application of lotion
Apply over-the-counter ointment
Transfer to bed, chair
Assist with ambulation and exercises
Range of motion
Ted hose application/removal
Give food and fluids
Light meal preparation
Empty colostomy bags
Empty foley/external catheter bags
Measure urinary output
Make occupied/unoccupied bed
Laundry related to patient's care
Report significant changes and needs
Document significant observations
Provide input into planning and evaluation of care
- The Hospice Aide may not perform the following:
Change sterile dressings
Visit after hours unless pre-approved by supervisor
Visit survivors unless pre-approved by supervisor
Any procedure not in HA Plan of Care
Colostomy care (change wafer)
Apply ointments containing prescription medication
- Contribute to the development of the Hospice Plan of Care by reporting observations to RN.
- Immediately report to the Hospice House RN changes in patient/caregiver needs.
- Maintain medical records in accordance with Company policies and procedures, i.e., patient care provided and observations, supplies used and time sheet documentation.
- Attend Company and mandatory scheduled meetings and participates in committees as requested.
- Attend Company and community educational offerings as appropriate.*
- Duties as assigned by the Hospice House Manager or Clinical Team Leader.*